Re: [MV] War story and M-211

From: International Movie Services (ims@telus.net)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 09:10:00 PDT

I'm an old mud-gunner!
The 105 uses 7 removable charge bags which are deleted at the time the
projectile is loaded in the breech. The number of bags to be removed is
determined by the CP firing orders and will affect trajectory, time of
flight, etc. Left over charge bags are placed in a small pit behind the gun
to be burned later.
I think the charge for direct fire would be 7 (all bags). We used to call
this exercise "killer junior"-the Gunners would love this as with charge 7
at a low elevation the gun would leap up off it's tires and about the time
you recovered from the concussion of firing your round would have arrived at
it's destination with a thunderclap. Flechette rounds were most spectacular!
We used M135s with winch as gun tractors; The 211s were solely used for ammo
resupply. The kitchen truck was a specially modified 135 which towed a 1 1/2
ton trailer with steel cage which contained the rations and cook's supplies.
There was a removable gangway connecting the truck with the trailer which
was left hooked up at all times in case of a "bug-out", which in the FA
doctine was usually in the pouring rain in the dead of night.
Ah, the many memories!
HOOAH.
Ian D. Newby, Major, FA (ret)