Re: [MV] CUCV Transmission problems

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 00:04:12 PDT

I have been reading the transmission saga and will now add my two cents
worth. Gents, seriously consider replacing the entire radiator or removing
at the minimum and taking it to a radiator shop to flush and clean not only
the radiator core but the tranny cooler and verify it isn't plugged up or
severely restricted flow wise. Spend all the time and money you want on the
tranny's guys but if you don't clean the heat exchanger on the radiator you
might just have wasted your time and money.

Jim

At 04:53 PM 6/16/2003 -0400, Recovry4x4@aol.com wrote:
>I am far from a tranny expert so take this with a grain of salt. Unless your
>CUCV is an exact restoration, I would add a tranny cooler to the mix. If your
>6.2 DDA runs even a little hot, the heat will be transferred to the trans
>through the radiator. Don't bypass the radiator cooler either, it helps
>warmup on
>cold days. Install your cooler in the return line from the radiator to the
>trans. Easy way of figuring this out is to start up a cold truck and get
>a hand
>on both lines. Whichever on heats up last is the line you want the cooler
>in. This of course with a complete and thorough flushing after the rebuld
>should
>point you down the road of durable motoring.
>
>Kenneth Engle
>Loxahatchee FL
>71 A.M. General M35A2
>73 A.M. General M275A2