cckw axle question

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 20:00:37 PDT

Greetings:

Recently, some members were advising me that there are two different axles
used on CCKW's and Chevy 1.5-tons. (G506 and G508) and that the axle shafts
are not interchangeable.

I am looking at a truck's front axle that has a circle of bolts, arranged so
that I can see all of the bolt circle from the front of the truck, like the
face of a clock. There are also large ribs cast into the differential
housing. I assume that this is the "banjo" type. If not, please let me
know.

Were there more banjo types made than split types, or vice-versa?

Were the same axles used on both size trucks? That is, if a 1.5-ton has a
banjo axle, would those shafts fit into a banjo axle on a 2.5-ton?

Thanks for your input.

Arthur P.