Re: [MV] M35 wheel bearings

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 05:30:02 PDT

I recently purchased a 1980 Mercedes Benz 300D that I figured would be
great for HF Ham Radio (no ignition noise). Best laid plans etc., the WIFE
spots it after I bought it and brought it home and promptly declared it was
HERS!!! I am still driving the old land barge but while getting into the
maintenance side of the MB I discovered when repacking the wheel bearings
MB specifies a specific weight of grease to be installed between the
bearings which when done properly allows you to run 90,000 miles before a
repack is required.

         The grease you install between the bearings warms up as you drive
and spreads out and into the bearings keeping them happy. All the mechanics
I cleaned tools for and swept the floor for as a little kid that drove my
Mom nuts when I showed up for dinner looking like I rolled in grease and
oil all taught me ALWAYS leave grease between the bearings but no higher
than an inch. I haven't lost a bearing that can be repacked since.

         Besides you don't want to repack/replace bearings on your HMV any
more than you have to do you?

         MV content.........IMWA the Russian US Importer of the Ural
motorcycle nows makes it possible for you too to own a brand new MV. They
are now importing and selling to civilians The "Gear Up" Military model
motorcycle one or two wheel drive selectable by the driver with all the
ammo cans already mounted from the factory (look a lot like 20MM cans)
complete with mounted where both driver and passenger can operate it a
spotlight mounted on the forward left hand side of the sidecar and a mount
for a belt fed PK 7.62 Machine Gun and all accessories for it.
Unfortunately BATF won't allow the importer to sell the sidecar rig with
the MG but you do get to specify what color pattern you want IE: woodland,
Desert or UN white already lettered in the last case. For those that are
interested here is the url http://www.imz-ural.com/gearup_detail.html and
I have a PDF file that I downloaded a couple of years ago I will send if
requested.

Jim