Re: [MV] FARBY Wehrmacht Motorcycle (?)

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 07:08:14 PDT

Hi Ron,

         Ron it's not FARBY. Look at the website. The Russians are selling
the "Gear Up" Military motorcycle to any Country who wants to add a very
capable military motorcycle to their inventory. I have and will send you
the pdf file that shows the full military model if you like it's 748K in
size. Ooooppppsss, no pic on the Gear Up. Say the word to see the file.

         The wwII BMW and Ural motorcycles were flatheads whereas the
present day Urals are overhead valve. Look carefully the next time you
watch a wwII movie and look closely at the cylinder heads, over 95 % of all
wwII movies made in the last 30+ years were made with Urals are readily and
cheaply available and very few people notice the engine differences. The
one instance that comes to mind is "Saving Private Ryan" the motorcycle on
the bridge near the end of the movie is a Ural.

         My Ural is a civilian model based on military heritage and now
that the military model is available I just might buy one.

         Tip: go with the MG-34 better Old World Gunsmithing and 550-650
rpm versus 1100-1200 rpm for the MG-42.

Jim

At 09:26 AM 6/22/2003 -0400, Ronzo wrote:
> So if I bought a URAL as pictured on their US web site home page
>http://www.imz-ural.com/ and dressed it up with an ersatz MG42 and got some
>very large(think potato dumpling/sausage stuffed Sergeant Shultz size) repro
>WWII Wehrmacht uniforms, I would be able to attend the various WWII US
>events as a reenactor/target?
> A new, relatively cheap, sidecar bike added to the stable is a
>possibility, where as another non running resto project added to the stable
>is out of the question.
> Would this look alike WWII Axis vehicle be accepted in most clubs or
>would it and the owner be shunned?
> How are HMV's from Axis powers received by the public in the US at
>events? How would knock off Axis vehicles be received?
>
> Ron

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
1998 IMZ 8.103