RE: [MV] FARBY Wehrmacht Motorcycle (?)

From: Bill Chambers (bchambers@hoovers.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 07:45:30 PDT

We have some guys that do the modification of non-German produced
motorcycles to german specs.
Most do it with the Chang Jiang model, from China. After the intial cost of
bike and sidecar, they put around another 3k into the conversion. In WW2
reenacting, it in more the entire impression. While the bike must have
certain mods, if you look like a farb, then you would not be allowed to play
with most units.

As for shows... we have a Hetzer, several half tracks, a stable of bikes,
both original and repop, and other german engineered MVs that do public
events. The response is very favorable. In fact, the German's weapons
displays draw more crowds that the US and Allies. As long as you make sure
the folks that you are with are not real nazis, the public has never been
too rude. As a representative of the Crown, I watch the folks coming and
going through our area and the Huns. In 10 years, have never seen an
incedent at a show. In fact, have seen several former german soldiers come
up and give the guys more info.

As for knock off axis vehicles, the same as allied vehicles. How many in the
public can ID a WW2 GPW from a Post War CJ?
If you are presenting a excellent repop, then you are doing the hobby
justice, if a bad copy, then you are not.
Sorta brings up the whole GPW original vs. tub repop issue, in my opinion.

regards,
Bill

OBLI, Commanding