Re: [MV] REPEAL THE USA PATRIOT ACT - no mv, very important

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 07:42:45 PDT

At 12:29 AM -0400 6/23/03, Steve Grammont wrote:

>It seems that nobody disagrees that in its basic form the Patriot Act is
>bad from the perspective of individual civil liberties. Like you I have

Actually Steve, someone on the list thinks its a good idea because
everyone just misunderstands that the Federal Agent is just trying to
do his job and needs all the help he can get to put away that nasty
terrorist.

>BTW, law enforcement had this wish list ready for quite some time. After
>9/11 they basically put the wish list into the form of legislation and
>rammed it through with the insulting name of "Patriot Act" in order to
>keep people from voting against it. "What, you didn't vote for the
>PATRIOT Act? You must not be a Patriot"...

Yeah, I watched this happen in the hearings and attended a conference
about some of the aspects at an EFF meeting at a local convention.
Its particularly scary when you get into the technology aspects.
Something I'm more aware of working as a computer type at CNN.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)