Re: [MV] My mistake. Off-topic. Delete now.

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Jun 29 2003 - 14:55:40 PDT

At 11:02 AM -0700 6/29/03, Patrick Jankowiak wrote:
>I see it is a 2600.com affair. For those who think all hackers are
>evil, here is an example of hackers doing something decent.

Generally , true hackers are folks that experiment and learn about
technology. They point out flaws in either the technology itself or
the moral and ethical concepts associated with it. Read some of the
postings and articles on the web site and you'll get a better idea of
the ideals of the 2600 crowd.

It used to be that System Administrators of servers would among other
things hack each others servers so as to prove their prowess, now
days that's a felony. An 11 year old child that tries to hack his
grade on the school's computers and gets caught is charged with a
felony (attempt to defraud). 2600 type hackers rail against this kind
of over application of the law.

Imagine tinkering with the carburetor and muffler on your car and
being charged with a crime that results in 10 years jail time. That's
what hackers rail against.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)