Re: [MV] What Is This Clip on Brand New M35A2 Sideboards/Troop Seats?

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 06:53:57 PDT

>That's correct Jonathon, they are used when the dropsides are down. Now,
>I have a question for you. When the sides go down the uprights for the
>canvas top get stored in the slots at the bulkhead. The cross members
>are stored under the truck bed at the front over the spare tire. What
>happens with the sides with the troop seats?

They stay in there. There are 4 "L" pins that lock into a hole in the side
of the front two and back two uprights of the side racks. There is a
warning sticker on the side of the bed to not drop the side unless these are
secured. I know someone who has witnessed people dropping the side down and
having the rack (side and troop seat assembly that is) fall out onto them.
On all 4 of my L pin things, the holes in the rack legs had been enlarged
with a torch, it would seem that perhaps the factory hole location and/or
size did not line up with the pin location. When I do my mule sideways I
take the top and the racks off the truck anyway. I would imagine that
dropping the side with the rack in there would almost have to be a two
person job.

Hope that helps,

je