testing a master cylinder

From: jeremyknopow (jeremyknopow@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 18:48:31 PDT

Just pulled the master cylinder assy. off my 53' REO because the piston
was sticking. I'm replacing the whole thing because it's fairly pitted,
but my question is when you have a master cylinder off a vehicle, you
fill up the reservoir, and then depress the piston like you're stepping
on the brake, should the master cylinder squirt out brake fluid and then
return to its resting position? The one I'm replacing does not - it
just sticks in the depressed condition (as I will be until I get this
truck going)- but I'm wondering if that's normal or just because it's
bad.

Do you have to hook a line from the master cylinder outlet back up to
the reservoir to make it a closed loop to test it properly?

Thanks All,

Jeremy