Re: [MV] Physics v. power loss

From: Employee@MilVeh.com
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 19:06:12 PDT

OK, maybe I am totally off base on this one, but for
years I have been advised there was relationship to
axle length and torque (same for drive shaft length).
And as I recall it goes something like this, the
longer the distance from the power source the greater
the loss of torque. Seems like there was a rule of
thumb, like X percent of loss in torque per X distance
of drive shaft and axle length. I.e. the drive shaft,
axle length affects power and mileage.

So, does anyone on the list have any additional
information on this subject or perhaps the formula for
computing a loss of power over a given distance of a
specific dia. drive shaft? Or.. gulp, is this an
urban legend?

Thanks... Jack