6TL Charging Problems

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 13:14:04 PDT

Greetings list. My deuce tractor suddenly developed a starting problem. I had
one episode of slower cranking and then no start. I checked the batteries and
the rear battery was at 13+ volts. The front was at 10.5 volts. Slaved the
truck and took it for a spin. Volt meter reading was normal. Parked the truck,
attempted to restart, click click. Today I pulled the low battery and hooked
it up to the charger. The battery just isn't accepting a charge. I even went
around the battery with a small dead blow hammer and gave it a few taps. These
batteries appear recent. Any ideas what might cause one battery to do this or
is it just a bad battery? It's never been center tapped by me and I seriously
doubt if the previous owner center tapped it. Can I get away with replacing
just one battery? 6TLs in my area are near $150.
Regards,
Kenny

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee FL