Re: [MV] Physics v. power loss

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 14:08:24 PDT

Jack, I would think that going down a dry highway and then hitting wet
road (rain) would affect power more than a long or short driveshaft.
Also could you find out from your source why a worm gear assy. is so
variable in it's efficiency...I think it was 30 to 90...sounds weird to
me, about the only difference between the various type gear arrangements
would be the area of contact of the teeth. I have heard that the worm
gear can produce a lot of heat...probably because of the deep reduction
ratios that can be obtained with them. I would definately want the EP
(extreme pressure) type of gear oil in a winch setup. I learned
somewhere to use 140 wt in them...but it might get somewhat stiff in low
temperatures. Not a Kalifornia issue though. Fred Martin