4th of July Parade in Huntington Beach, CA

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 13:11:04 PDT

Sometimes we get a chance to enjoy our vehicles, and contribute to
something a little more significant than our hobby.

Our local MVPA club(s) have been helping out the Pearl Harbor Survivors
with transport for the 4th of July parade the last couple years. These
guys are all over 80 years old now, but we continue to get a good turn out
with about 25 PHS members attending this year. The parade draws a big
crowd, and everyone stands, claps, and chears for the PHS group, some even
coming up to shake hands.

While most of these veterans ride, It's a point of pride for some to walk
the entire parade route. The problem was that yesterday was one of the
hottest July 4th's on record in Huntington Beach. As the parade progressed
we had more walkers become riders... slowly filling up the remaining space
in the three jeeps and two 3/4 ton trucks. One gentleman actually fell,
(despite an attempt earlier to get him to ride on a truck). He was taken
to the hospital for observation, but was fine and released a couple hours
later.

A couple of these guys did walk the entire route though (and it is over a
mile long, perhaps two)... amazing men. I was glad we were there with the
trucks though. It felt good to be able to help these guys on board as we
went and tell them it was ok, they had earned a ride.

I hope we can convince everyone to ride next year, and that the Pearl
Harbor Survivors, and all our WWII veterans, are with us for many July 4ths
to come.

I've posted a few photos at the following site:
http://www.surplustrucks.com/HB7-4-03/home.htm

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Elsinore, CA