CJ2A overheating...

From: E Adams (shadow@vci.net)
Date: Sat Jul 12 2003 - 21:31:09 PDT

Need help guys. Got a overheating problem. I flushed the radiator tonight
(took off hoses and ran water through it) and noticed that the top hose from
the radiator to the block had a soft spot. Took it off and it had a rusty
spring inside that had broken in pieces. The top of the hose was about 1/4
of the way collapsed. Took the metal piece it attached to on the engine
off. NO thermostat... It is supposed to have one right??? Would it make it
overheat if it didn't? It has a brand new water pump on it. Keep in mind I
just bought the Jeep and have zero prior knowledge of the engine. I do know
that its a 71 pinto engine, has a new water pump.

1) Does it need a thermostat?
2) If I get a new thermostat what "temp" one do I need? As in opening temp
3) replace that hose on top is a given.
4) What else do I need to check? It holds water fine

Any suggestions are welcome as I am NOT a mechanic. I am tryig to learn to
service my Willys myself though. :)

Eric