Re: [MV] Drivers license needed in New York state.

From: Jim (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 10:16:59 PDT

David & List,

  In New York the regular license (class D) is restricted to 18,000 GVWR.
The Deuce is higher than this (~23K). Tony will need to get a "non-CDL C" or
a CDL license class C or higher. He'll need to take a road test in a vehicle
with a GVWR greater than 18K. Since the Deuce does not have true air brakes,
no extra endorsements are necessary. I don't know why the non-CDL C is
available. Not sure if it's cheaper or if restrictions are different, etc.
 If Tony was to decide for the CDL test, I'd recommend he make the extra
effort to get a CDL class B with an air brake endorsement. That would let
him drive most everything outside of a tractor-trailer combinations with a
trailer over 10,000 GVWR . He could drive a tractor (cab only or trailer
under 10k), any strait truck, or tow any trailer under 10,000 GVWR if he
wanted to.

 There is an exception to the 18K weight limit for standard class D driver's
licenses in NY. It's for "recreational vehicles"..AKA motor homes. If you
could convince the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles that a historic vehicle
(due to it's limited use) is equivalent to a motor home then you wouldn't
need a CDL. However, without the lobbying dollars the motor home
manufacturers have, you'd likely have quicker success just getting the CDL.

Jim

>I am forwarding this question from my friend Tony in New York. He is
interested
>in getting a deuce and wonders what kind of drivers license he would need.
He has