M35 rear tandems shifting side to side

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 10:17:24 PDT

Ever since I bought my M35 (February) I have noticed a
weird klunk, or shift in something when turning real
sharp at slow speeds, mainly when backing in the
driveway. I never thought too much about it as I
couldn't see anything wrong. Just figured it was the
frame flexing or cab rubbing on something. Now I
believe it is the rear tandems. Earlier this morning
when looking at the airpack I noticed the middle axle
shifted sideways about one inch from the rear axle to
the passenger side. Upon ispection I found this:

On each axle where the spring leaves are held on the
axle they have been rubbing on the insides of the
rectangular bracket that holds them in. Not the
outsides however. The rectangular bracket I mention
makes up the top plate on each side of both axles.
Everthing else looks solid. I don't believe it is the
main pivot bearings or whatever they are called. If
these were bad I would assume the whole tandem
assembly would move as one unit causing the truck to
duck walk. The truck at present goes down the road
straight and doesn't pull to either side at anytime
excluding certain road conditions. I also took the
round plates off of each side and inspected these
bearings. Didn't take them out or anything, but there
was no obvious problems. Also greased them till all
the old grease was replaced.

So, do I have some worn out torque rods? Or is this
just a charicteristic of these trucks? If the torque
rods are worn out, I can't see it. I plan to try with
a pry bar to check for play. And, is this a problem
that has to be fixed pronto? I am leaving in two
weeks for a 3500 mile trip out west with it and don't
really have time to fix it now. Of course if it is a
major issue I don't really want it coming apart on me
1000 miles from home either. I've been going through
the truck with a fine toothed come to repair/inspect
everything to avoid issues. Of course that comb may
have some teeth missing.

Thanks

Marc