Help trouble-shoot CJ2A steering?

From: Eric \(Home\) (shadow@vci.net)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 10:25:47 PDT

I have about 1/3rd of a steering wheel "play" in my steering. It's a 1947
CJ2A. When turning the whel I noticed that the "gear" sticking out of the
steering box turns immediately as I turn the wheel. The piece attached to
it also does. Does this mean its something further down the line? Like
those "rods" (steering rods?) that attach to each wheel?
I am not a mechanic but I am hoping that from what I described above that
its one of the cheaper parts past the steering box that's to blame.

Ideas?

Eric