Re: [MV] Drivers license needed in New York state.

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 16:33:49 PDT

--- Jim <gadget@easypath.com> wrote:
> Yup, It's all based on weight. Except for
> recreational vehicles, no
> considerations are made for registration classes,
> etc.
> By the way, I've never found a NY-DMV definition for
> "recreational
> vehicles". If we had enough people to sign a
> petition of some sort, and got
> the backing of large organizations like the MVPA and
> historic/antique
> vehicle insurers, there might be a chance at getting
> historic vehicles
> included in the recreational vehicle catagory.
>
> Has anyone ever been involved in something like that
> with another state?
+++++
Now that I look at the information you provided I may
be wrong. BUT!

I've been driving my M-135 over the last ten years and
have been stopped at roadblocks for license and
registration, the only thing I was asked was if I had
the "right" fuel in the tank, to which I replied,
"Duh?" then I told the trooper that it was a gas
engine, that seemed to make him grumpier, I got waved
through. I even had an off duty trooper in the
passenger's seat that asked the question about the
license classification by weight, he didn't know
exactly what the weight was either.

THEN we get to the subject of whether its for
commercial use or not.

I stand by my original assertion that there is
confusion afoot in NYS!!

My intent is to do just what the "law" enforcement
does here and that is what ever the courts will let
you get away with!

Joe