Re: [MV] Help trouble-shoot CJ2A steering?

From: william f cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 20:33:13 PDT

Eric,
One thing ALMOST ALWAYS OVERLOOKED BY EVERYONE is front wheel bearing
adjustment--- too tight the hubs get hot
too loose and you increase apparent play in steering at the steering
wheel
un-equal adjustment and the vehicle may tend to "pull or drift" toward
the tight side

Minor wear in pitman arm, gear box, tierod ends added to loose wheel
bearings == excessive play in steering wheel.

Just something to check.
Frank

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:25:47 -0500 "Eric \(Home\)" <shadow@vci.net>
writes:
> I have about 1/3rd of a steering wheel "play" in my steering. It's a
> 1947
> CJ2A. When turning the whel I noticed that the "gear" sticking out
> of the
> steering box turns immediately as I turn the wheel. The piece
> attached to
> it also does. Does this mean its something further down the line?
> Like
> those "rods" (steering rods?) that attach to each wheel?
> I am not a mechanic but I am hoping that from what I described above
> that
> its one of the cheaper parts past the steering box that's to blame.
>
> Ideas?
>

> Eric

> <mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>

Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)