M816 transfer Case Question

From: JHUTT7107@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 06:10:31 PDT

List (and especially the guys with the big trucks),

Last weekend I hauled a 155 mm Howitzer from our museum to a show in a local town, about 25 miles away. On the way back to the museum, I lost high range in my M816 wrecker. Believe me when I say that pulling a 14,000 pound gun at 25 miles per hour, on the highway, at 85 degrees, is not an experience that I would recommend. Had to drive most of the way in low range. Had to stop twice along the way to get one of our Jeeps re-started and back on the road. An interesting day!

I had just finished climbing a fairly long hill in town, at about 10 mph and only turning about 1000 rpm. (I was following another vehicle, and he kept slowing down.) As I got to the top of the hill, it seemed as if the clutch had disengaged. The rpms rose, and the vehicle slowed down. I thought that I had lost the clutch, but that wasn't it. I tried low range, and the truck moved forward, so I knew that I could, at least, move it. That began the long drive home.

My question for this learned group is: What happened? Is it likely that something major broke down inside of the transfer case? Is there some kind of adjustment that I need to do? I have the 260-34 and 34P. I plan to take next week off and work on the beast, but any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. If it should become obvious that the only solution is to replace the transfer case, does anyone have one available, and what do they cost? Any and all replies will be appreciated.

Please reply to the list. Not only is this something that others might be interested in, it makes for a lot less hassle for me with the email system that I have to work with.

Thanks in advance,

John

--
John Hutterer