Re: [MV] Looking for a M35A2--Are auction vehicles generally drivable? THANK...

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 06:08:35 PDT

This reminds me of another adventure. I bought an M54A2 and an M35A2 from a
GSA auction in Ft Myers FL. The story with the 5 ton has already been told but
the deuce had been forgotten until now. I bid $50 on it as a joke since it
looked like it had been sitting for quite a while. Some steering components were
missing so I had a friend with and International wrecker fetch it. I had
previously pulled the driveline on the rear so he could lift it from the front. He
slung it, lifted it doublechecked the hookup and put towing lights on.
Jumped inside and let out the clutch and the DT466 stopped dead. Started it back
up and tried again with a little more throttle, nothing moving. He figured the
braked were locked up. Dropped it down into low gear and was going to drag it
out. No ajoy, damn thing didn't budge. After about 10 minutes of rocking
back and forth sometimes violently, the truck broke free. When checking the
connections again we found out that the brakes weren't locked up at all. The tires
were fused to the ground. 3 big section of tread were ripped right from the
carcass of 3 of the 4 tires on the right side. I ended up swapping around tires
and chaining the fwd rear axle up and towing it on the aft axle. How long
did it sit? The div of forestry mechanic said it was sitting there when he
started, 11 years earlier.