Selfridge ANGB airshow

From: L51940@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 18:16:59 PDT

Just returned from a great day at the Selfridge ANGB airshow north of Detroit. They had a packed house. Thunderbirds were there as well as demos of C130's, F16's, F 18's, stunt planes, P51's, a B17, a Junker like Hitler flew in and alot more.

My favorites are the F104 Starfighters although on a sad note the one pilot Tom "Sharkbait" Delashaw was killed last Tuesday in an air crash (not Starfighter related). His single seat Starfighter was there but did not fly. His partner did fly the 2 seat Starfighter.

The Army had a display there including an Abrams tank, and a Bradley. Also on display was a 2.5 ton FMTV. I have to admit that it is a pretty interesting truck. Up to today I did not like them. One soldier told me that they have had some problems w/ them and that they did have to add armor to protect the computer that allows the engine to run. Saw someone with a very nice Mutt w/ MG.

All in all a fun day.

David McConnell

PS Wore our Joe Young T-shirts to the show. No one said anything to us there, however, later at Pizza Hut we were quizzed about buying military jeeps. Joe's T-shirts have started many interesting conversations where ever we go, with or without the deuce.