HMMWV shelter carrier differences

From: Mark J. Blair (ke6myk_mvlist@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 18:28:24 PDT

Hi. Can any of y'all fill me in on the differences between a regular M998
HMMWV and an M1037 S-250 shelter carrier? I'm wondering what is required to
convert an M998 to properly carry an S-250 communication shelter. I looked in
my parts manuals a bit, and it appears that the shelter carrier has several
differences:

* A frame mounted in the bed to distribute the shelter's weight.

* A different tailgate, or at least different mounting brackets and chains.

* Some plates mounted in the rear footwells to separate the front from the
rear (I don't see how these would be really necessary. I find it convenient to
be able to reach into the footwells from behind the front seats in my M998
which is configured as a 2-door cargo/troop truck right now).

* Some special mounting brackets which bolt onto the brackets on the lower
corners of the shelter.

* Metal plates to keep the shelter from sliding out of the bed.

* Different rear shocks and springs to handle the weight of the shelter.

Are there any other differences?

How hard is it to find the parts necessary to convert an M998 into an M1037?

Thanks in advance for any information!

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/