Re: [MV] MVPA convention question

From: International Movie Services (ims@telus.net)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 08:21:49 PDT

Mike:
Thanks for the compliment!
When we found the dually it was sitting on it's back bumper in the mud at
DRMO Fort Lewis, the entire diff. unit and rear wheels were gone; the front
seat and a lot of minor items (fuel tank change switch; alternator; seat
belts) had been "liberated". Finding the correct rear axle unit took 6
months and a lot of experimenting and frustration-finally settled for a 4:10
ratio to replace the 4:56; almost gave up! Then the first test drive after
all the missing parts were replaced resulted in an electrical fire after
about 100 yards; a burnt out rear wheel bearing after 20 miles; continual
learning curve in the return to some semblance of reliability. The box had
been removed and was laying on it's back at DRMO-forgot to mention that the
Fort Lewis DRMO forklift demolition Grand Prix had whacked in both sides of
the truck body and the box-lots of unnecessary body damage to repair!! We
had so many problems that nobody except me would drive the beast and come to
think of it, other than Doreen taking shifts in the 16 hours driving to
Oakland no one else has ever driven her!!
Think I mentioned that over the 1700+ miles to the convention and return I
replaced the front steering link in the display area in Alameda; the
radiator and starter in Grant's Pass, Oregon. Now she goes like Jack the
Bear but I have a checklist of minor things to address now we're back home.
Fortunately no one came up to me at the show and said "you're sure lucky to
have found her in that original condition", or I would probably have had to
launch them off the Hornet's flight deck!
Got some great photos I'll post for the group when I get my scanner up.
Cheers!
Ian