Re: [MV] More Info on USGI Target Simulator System Soviet Tank Silhouettes...

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 20:48:10 PDT

Hello Jim,

I asked a US Army LTC tanker friend of mine about this and here is his
response (I sent him the links you posted to this list):

Sure do. I'm pretty sure they went with the Brewster Device Sub-Cal
trainer. Although, when we used the Brewster, the targets were generic
silhouettes and not those nice looking ones. It could be that those you
showed me were used strictly for tracking and recognition. They also
appear to be incapable of being lifted, which is something you would need
on a live fire sub-cal range (to replicate the appearance of targets).

Unfortunately, I do not know the manufacturer or official nomenclature
(other than scaled target).

They are used on Mini Tank Ranges. Although, they aren't used as much
anymore, with the advent of better gunner simulators and such.

They are cost effective and easy to set up however, making them desired
by tank crewmen.

http://pao.hood.army.mil/tsc/Media/Catalog/Word%20Docs/series17.doc

http://call.army.mil/products/nftf/novdec97/sect3.htm

Here are links with short blurbs about the min tank range:

http://www.eaglehorse.org/ftx_gunnery.htm   (approx 2/3 way down)

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/lsm/dhmg/crew031.html   (1/4 way down)

Hope that helps you out!

Steve