Re: [MV] M151A2 Starting Problem - Solved (I hope)

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 21:21:32 PDT

Let me make a comment about starting my old Ferguson tractor...if I hit
the starter and let it...it will just grind and grind and not start.
But, if while the engine is turning over I release the starter
suddenly...it will "catch". What (in my mind) is happening is the high
current drawing starter pulls the voltage down and weakens the voltage
going to the coil, points and plugs. I have a theory in life...you got
to be smarter than the metal...(I'm a machinist by trade). Well,
anyhow...if the starter draws excessive current or your electrical
system is somewhat weak (including your battery)...it might help you
when that old rig isn't wanting to take ahold...and best of all...it's
free...Fred Martin