Re: [MV] COMMON SENSE

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 20:44:22 PDT

Hi Gene,
    Ok, about this bomb you sold me.........:-) Just kidding.

I for one think that Gene has the right attitude. There were a few minor things
wrong
with the CUCV I bought from him, but I certainly don't hold him responsible for
them,
and I certainly wouldn't ask him to refund any money for them. He sold me a damn
good vehicle
in good faith and if I find a problem, then that is the luck of the draw.

    It's up to the buyer to inspect what he is buying or make a deal with the
seller regarding
warranty. Take for example Joe Young, He has a truck for sale with a broken
crank. He will sell it
as is for a low price or in running condition with a warranty for a much higher
price.

    If you are buying new stuff from a manufacturer you assume that they will
replace defective
stuff, but that is only because most of the states have laws to protect their
naive citizens. Some
manufacturers used to have built up reputations that you could depend on even
though there
wasn't a written guarantee, but those were the days of old. Since the norm
appears to be the opposite
now, one should assume that you are on your own in less you see it in writting
by the
manufacturer or the state.

    And anyway, at least the bird had a good home....

That's my 2¢

Bruce MVPA 23824