RE: [MV] Common Sense

From: Rich Sherman (richs@volcano.net)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 15:45:34 PDT

Maybe I'm getting just getting old, but it seems that things have changed
over the years. Deals like this, whether MV's, old cars or whatever, were
based on good honest communication rather than just the "buyer beware"
principle. Sure, we'd ask questions and check the goods, but also depended
on the representation from the seller. If a guy charged $1,000 for a "new
engine, ready to go" that's what was expected. Or if the seller didn't know,
or was not sure, about the condition of the engine then that's what he would
say and we'd take our chances. Typically the old "you get what you paid for"
axiom applied.

I also see a change in folks buying. I've got a couple of trucks for sale
and have had a few calls where we would discuss the trucks, condition and
price. I had two folks that then came out and checked the trucks in person
and then offered half (or less) of what I was asking! I can't understand why
they waste their (and my) time going through all that when we discussed the
price on the phone.

Oh well, another 2 cents worth and I am sure glad I'm not a dealer trying to
make a living in this environment.