Re: [MV] About armor

From: Employee@MilVeh.com
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 18:06:08 PDT

I don't know about steel, but certain kinds of alloys
have a numerical rating system that are based on 3
rounds hitting within a 4 sq. inch area and it's noted
ability to resist penitration by said rounds. It's
interesting to see how composites hold up really well.

Hot or cold roll steel is obviously too soft to offer
much protection unless there is a lot of angle.
Angles mean a lot when it comes to resisting
penetration, case in point, I recall a shootout where
this car door deflected a .357 round and a windshield
cracked when a bullet skipped off it. No, I wasn't
personally involved, but my Sergeant was and I saw the
aftermath, about 2 minutes after the shots were
exchanged.

You might recall this thread from a few months back,
but this idea for armor I is the best I have heard.
It is the two thin sheets of steel with an inner
honeycomb of insulation. The A and B panels are
hooked to what amounts to be a large capacitor, A is
neg and B is pos, simple. When the bullet or RPG
penetrates from A to B an electrical discharge occurs
and the round is vaporized into nothing but a copper
colored blemish and possible a small hole. British
invented it...pretty slick.

Cost, extremely low, you are looking at nothing more
than a large coil, powered by a conventional battery
and generator system. 100% effective too against small
arms.

Jack