Re: [MV] M1008 CUCV Starter Problems

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 08:13:18 PDT

I will bet that I can peg this one in the first try!

Pull the starter, take it apart and very closely
inspect the tabs that tie the field windings to the
bolt on the bottom of the solenoid, one of them is
broken loose but still making intermittent contact.
This is a spot weld between aluminum and copper pieces
which breaks every once in a while.

Sometimes you get a good enough contact to make both
field windings work, sometimes only good enough to
make ONE work.

Do you really need to ask how I found this one?

Joe