Re: [MV] MULE drop axel needle bearing update

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 21:10:15 PDT

>4) grinding it out using a special air tool

A die grinder or Dremel tool with a small round(ish) stone would do fine.
Just grind a line, axially that is, into the shell. It should give way
before you actually get thru. Most of the time you can see the area your
grinding turning blue as it gets really thin, stop at that point. It should
be easy to collapse and pull out then.

>5) application of hot (to housing) and cold (to bearing)

Ahhh, steel housing (that is cast iron insert cast into the aluminum
housing) and steel sleeve, won't work.

But, if you use a small tip acetylene touch and get a line, axially again,
red hot then the shell will soften along that line and when it cools it will
contract and pull the shell away from the bore. Key here is not to get
everthing in sight red hot. I have done this many times with ball bearings
that are stuck (after they have come apart and the only think left is one
part of the race that is)

good luck,

je