Re: [MV] MULE drop axel needle bearing update

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 21:23:13 PDT

Hi Jonathon,

>A die grinder or Dremel tool with a small round(ish) stone would do fine.
>Just grind a line, axially that is, into the shell. It should give way
>before you actually get thru. Most of the time you can see the area your
>grinding turning blue as it gets really thin, stop at that point. It should
>be easy to collapse and pull out then.

This is exactly what I am going to try on Monday, but using a rather
nasty looking grinding bit and an air tool. Thanks for the tips and
tricks advice. I'm sure they will be useful!

>>5) application of hot (to housing) and cold (to bearing)
>
>Ahhh, steel housing (that is cast iron insert cast into the aluminum
>housing) and steel sleeve, won't work.

Dang it!! I knew that, but forgot :-) Thanks for the reminder. That
ought to avoid some serious frustration if I tried to revert to this method.

I am not all that thrilled about playing around with a torch with so much
aluminum around it. However, if this is the ONLY option left, and my
mechanic thinks he can do it, I'll let him have at it. I can't do squat
with it as it is now, that's for sure!

Steve