RE: [MV] Power Steering for M884

From: Brian Redick (B-Man@wesnet.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 14:57:59 PDT

Mel,

I converted my M882 from manual to power about 9 years ago. I went to a
salvage yard, and picked up a complete power steering gearbox, mounting
bracket, bolts, pitman arm, drivers side drag link, power steering pump, all
pump brackets/bolts, and belts for about $75.00 although I had to remove it
myself. The model I happened to get was from a 1985 dodge ramcharger 4x4.
Any power steering setup from a smallblock V-8 Mopar 4x4 will work. Just
make sure that you record the year make and model for future replacement of
power steering lines, belts, etc.

This would be an excellent time to purchase an aftermarket stainless steel
u-joint style steering shaft coupler to replace that inferior rubber joint
that chrysler liked to put on the old vehicles. It will do wonders for
driveability.

If I remember correctly, I did the entire conversion by myself, in about 6
hours.

Brian
M882 4x4