Re: [MV] MV's at work....

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 22:47:05 PDT

>Why heck, there's nothing unusual with burying your
>MiG in the sand is there?

Can you define "usual" when it comes to Iraq's tactics? Most military
officials I have heard, read, or talked with think the Iraqis did hardly
anything "usual". The only "usual" thing they did was get their asses
kicked by an overwhelmingly superior force.

>I heard that is a common
>defensive tactic in that part of the world.

So you mean nobody can try anything different, and perhaps even foolish,
if you personally dislike it? Perhaps the Iraqi leadership failed to
discuss things with you before hand? That could explain their apparent
faux pas.

My opinion, as a military historian, strategist, and MV owner, is that
this was the best thing the Iraqis could have done with their big toys.
 It is also very likely that they could be (easily) made to fly again.
 They didn't just dump these in a hole and bury them. Look at those
pictures again, they buried them VERY carefully (removed wings, closed up
openings, covered with heavy tarps, etc. And when the other options were
assured distruction, might as well roll the dice.

Question... what would you have done with your airforce? I'd love to
hear the "usual" things you think would work.

>I also
>heard they also unearthed a couple of thousand WWII
>Carcano rifles in mint condition.

If you want to deny facts and logic to fit a particular irrational
political motivation... go right ahead. Of course, you know the people
you dislike the most (rabid rightwingers) do exactly the same thing when
the shoe is on the other foot. Whatever you do though, don't confuse
your irrational, kneejerking with reality. Your opinions and theories,
if backed up only by quips and fact dodging, are worth about as much as a
bucket load of the sand dug out from around those planes.

And since it is a standard kneejerk reaction, I'll once again remind you
that I think Bush, Rummy, and company are far less than honest
(understatement). The difference is that I don't let a rational distrust
of them make me irrational.

Steve