Re: [MV] HELP: Leaking Plastic gas tank- glue?

From: Greg (czechsix@cox.net)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 12:33:20 PDT

Much depends on the type of damage - be it an impact with distortion, or an
abrasion, or a simple seam split due to poor manufacturing practices. With
some of these, an epoxy formulation will work, but with others situations
the best way to go is plastic welding or replacement.

Plastic welding uses hot air and a rod of the same material to fill in and
weld the defect. Works basically the same as metal welding - you must have
clean and properly prepped surfaces, with the difference being that the
filler material has to be the same as the base plastic.

For an epoxy, try West Marine http://www.westmarine.com/ , or Aircraft
Spruce & Specialty http://www.aircraftspruce.com/index.php

I've used both companies - both have excellent products, albeit not
inexpensive. Many specialized items, and catalogs from both of them grace my
shelves year in and year out.

I used to make aquariums, waterfalls and ponds, and was trained in aerospace
composites. Still use plastics on and off - really handy materials.

Greg
Vista, CA