Re: [MV] Turn signal faint

From: Dave Brubaker (m151@cox.net)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 19:19:11 PDT

Stu,

There are two separate grounds on the m-series housing. The left side
mounting bolt(when looking at the faceplate) is ground for the upper half
and the right hand side is the ground for the lower half, the blackout
lights. I have had crappy lock washers provide a poor ground. I tested my
units by running a jumper cable from the ground internally to a good ground
on the frame. In my case I used a test lead from my ohm meter that had
alligator clips on both ends. With an "isolated" good ground my lights
started working. This told me the problem was somewhere between the
alligator clip and the mounting bolt head. I also removed the unit and
tested continuity of the wires and sockets with my ohm meter.

I also swapped the lights to see if the problem followed the unit. In one
case I had a bad wire right up next to the blinker housing and it was
impossible to fix, so I cannibalized the unit for parts and chucked it.

If after running a test ground the problem still persists, then you can move
on to the other wires without concern that you missed something. One of my
taillights had a bunch of crud in the rubber connector boot. After cleaning
out and blowing clear with an air gun and then polishing the connector with
some scotchbright, it started working.

If you find no problem after you have shot the ground and checked wiring at
the unit, it gets harder. You have to start shooting continuity on the
harness from the switch to the back of the unit. The jumper cable I used
for ground testing comes back into play. You grab the contact on the
harness with one end and the frame with the other. Put your meter on
continuity tester, put one lead on the frame and one on the cable. If you
test good, then you know that is not the problem.

Hope this is of some help.
David Brubaker
MVPA # 18115
M151A2