Re: [MV] water injection

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@ruralnet.net.au)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 18:18:35 PDT

Patrick

> I remember reading about something like that, not sure which aircraft.
> The throttle lever had a thin wire across the slot at the top end of
> its travel to "full throttle". If you shoved the trottle hard enough
> to break the wire and move to the end of the slot, the engine got a
> large dose of extra fuel, water, and nitrous oxide. This was for
> emergencies only.

Don't confuse "going through the gate" (breaking the wire) which was
officially called "War Emergency Power" with the injection system.

The Germans used Nitrous Oxide Injection and also (I think) Water
Methanol Injection for high altitude performance. BMW engines IIRC.

War Emergency Power was normally over boosting with the super charger.
Engine life expectancy at these settings was about 5 minutes with a
Merlin.

Any super charged engine can be made to over blow. Normally you just
don't give it the throttle movement to do so. That is why you increase
boost the higher you go to maintain performance as the air gets
thinner.
Use that amount of boost low down and you blow the engine.

Note: the above is a simplified version. There are always variations
and exceptions.

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@iinet.net.au