RE: [MV] HE and Diesel

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 09:25:26 PDT

I happened to have an interesting... mishap(?)... with diesel at a campsite before. The story really needs to be told in person, but from my experience diesel doesn't burn well. It was February in Truckee, California, camping in several feet of snow in sub-zero temperatures. Pouring diesel on the small campfire actually put it out (Diesel taken from jerry cans off the back of a CUCV). Placing a tin of diesel next to the fire "to warm it up" proved to be a mistake. later in the evening the cup of fuel boiled over, burst into the air and atomized, just next to the camp fire, and just as a young trooper was walking inches away from it.

The explosion produced a big roar, and a bright white-yellow light. So, if your HE explosion splatters the diesel around, it just may ignite it. Hollywood does use kerosene for all their pretty fire explosions, after all.

As for the unlucky trooper? Luckily, there was plenty of cold snow for the guy to dive into after he was "blown up"

Aaron Horrocks