cargo cover, df exhaust & antenna

From: Vadim Kogan (vadim@XCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 09:28:13 PDT

Hello List,

I just got a cargo cover (to go behind a 4 men soft top) and I have a couple
of questions...

I have deep fording exhaust mounted and I have AS-1729s (2) mounted on the
rear of the vehicle (standard mount, near the taillight). Both antennas are
tied down (so that the tips are only slightly above the level of the exhaust
pipe and I can actually get into the garage).

On the right side, the cargo cover bows just push the antenna out a little.
On the left side the antenna gets sandwiched between the bow and exhaust
pipe and this whole picture looks rather unhappy. To top it off, I plan to
make a fiberglass top (similar to helmet hardtop, but 3 pieces) which would
be fatter than the cargo cover.

What do other people do with antennas on the left with cargo cover and
exhaust? What would happen if I were to get an offset antenna mount? How
would the antenna go around the exhaust? I have never actually seen the
offset mount, so I don't know how much it sticks out.

The other problem is the tie-down for the cargo cover (the one that sticks
out on the outside of the vehicle). There is one right next to the exhaust
and the exhaust screen (mesh) is bent in a little in that spot, however it
is fully touching the tie-down. I was wondering what is the normal procedure
for cargo cover and deep fording exhaust in that area. The options I see
are:

- put some washers between the body and the exhaust to pull the exhaust away
from the vehicle a little bit.

- bend the screen (mesh) some more to actualy leave some space around that
tiedown.

- cut out a part of the screen (mesh) to have some space around the tiedown.

Any help/ideas are very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Vadim.