glow plugs cycling & wait light in a HMMWV

From: Vadim Kogan (vadim@XCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 09:27:40 PDT

Hello List,

I have some possibly weird behavior here...

I always wait for the wait light to go out before turning the engine on. I
always wait for the glow plugs to stop cycling before putting the vehicle in
gear and moving it.

Ever since I had the truck it would sometimes flash the wait light and
sometimes have it on solid when you turn the switch originally. I hear that
this is probably normal.

A few weeks ago I noticed that sometimes I would drive for 5 minutes or so
and the glow plugs would start cycling again. I don't see them doing it
afterwards. It does not happen all the time. I wonder whether this is a sign
of problem?

Just last night I noticed that when I got back home the wait light was
stlightly (not proper full brightness) and kind of "buzzing" (sorry, can't
think of the proper english term). Not really blinking, but just "buzzing".
This repeated again today when I got to work. I'm pretty sure it was
completely off when I left home, but it had the same slight "buzzing" when I
got to work.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Vadim.