Re: [MV] 24VDC battery charger

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 20:45:41 PDT

David,

I'm surprised that you have had "cooked" batteries. The basic
chemical/electrical makeup of lead-acid storage batteries is such that the
internal resistance increases as the battery is charged. As the internal
resistance increases, less current can pass into/through the battery,
essentially making it self-regulating. Even using the most primitive of
Sears 2Amp-10Amp chargers, you will see an initial high rate of charge,
followed by a gradual reduction of charging current, and once the battery is
fully charged, you will see the ammeter just flickering at the low end of
the scale.

Generally, the only way to cook a battery is to allow too much voltage, not
current, to pass into the battery. You will note that modern alternators
have VOLTAGE regulators, not CURRENT regulators, because the assumption is
that the battery is self-regulating, with respect to amperage (current).

But I could be wrong.

Arthur P. Bloom