Re: [MV] Humvee and CUCV starting systems

From: Ron (rojoha@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 06:20:55 PDT

Thank you, Julian, for your post.
    If I may ask some questions concerning the glow plug relay, of both
Julian and the list....
    My M1010 has had the glow plug controller card bypassed/replaced with a
momentary on push button switch. It was done by a previous owner. I was
instructed to hold it for 5 seconds or so in the summer and 10 to 12 seconds
below 32 degrees prior to starting,
    Did the glow plug card in the CUCV suffer from many failures? Would it
be advisable to reactivate the Glow plug controller card and disconnect the
push button ? I still get the 'WAIT' light when I turn on the key, and it
cycles on and off until the engine is warmed up.
    The vehicle has suffered from poor charging/ battery drainage problems
and that has occupied more of my time than the investigation of the
operation of the glow plug relay system.

    BTW... For what it is worth.... Another CUCV tid bit for your
consideration.....
     My M1010 developed a strange surging a couple of months ago while
traveling at 50 to 55 with a steady pedal pressure. I changed out the fuel
filter and the problem went away until 2 weeks ago. While traveling to Cape
Cod for a week at Otis ARB, it started again, with the engine dying in the
parking lot of the barracks upon arrival. I changed out the fuel filter with
a new one. I was getting good flow out the bleed line and the water drain
line on the filter housing. The only way the engine would start was by
holding full throttle while cranking, and as soon as you let off the pedal
the engine would die. An interesting 20 minute ride around the base in 1st
and 2nd gear and rolling through stop signs and back to the parking lot
proved the filter was not the culprit, with the engine dying upon return to
the lot.
    A couple of trips to the Mass Army NG Unit Training Equipment Site
(UTES) to talk to the maint mechanics yielded the conclusion from them based
on the symptoms I reported back to them after each consult, that it was the
mechanical fuel pump that was the culprit, based on age of the truck. The
low mileage was a good indication that it had never been changed and the
fact it had only clocked 7 miles by the previous two owners over 5 years
would have allowed the check valves and the diaphragm to have suffered
'storage damage'. They then took me over to a M1008 they had up on a lift
and showed me what had to be done. They said it "could" be done in the
parking lot with he truck on the ground, but it wouldn't be easy or fun.
    I had the vehicle towed (another fascinating experience, trying to get a
tow truck on base during an elevated alert status...I got the pig running
and managed to get it outside the gate where Mr. Tow could get to it without
submitting to a body cavity search) and it got dragged off to a local GMC
truck dealer, where it still sits 2 weeks later. Seems the various service
writers don't talk to each other, and the MASTER DIESEL TECH has taken it
upon himself to ignore what the Motor pool types have learned after working
on nothing but these pigs, day in and day out for 17 years, and is trouble
shooting the problem in his spare time for savage amusement. Finally on
Wednesday I melted down and screamed at the Service Department Supervisor to
just replace the F&^%^%$^ mechanical fuel pump and quit jerking me around.
The Motor Pool types said it was a $37 item at Autowize downtown. That's
where they get them since it was cheaper than what they were charged for the
proper NSN ordered item through the supply chain. Of course the GMC dealer
tells me THEIR part is coming from Ohio and might get it to them by this
past Friday, so I might be able to pick up the truck Monday afternoon or
Tuesday.....

    Regards, Ron