Re: [MV] Humvee and CUCV starting systems

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 07:08:52 PDT

     What happened here many times when you get your CUCV from DRMO, it had
been "scavenged" and the first usually to go is the glow plug controller
card from under the steering column. Some cards did fail in service but
wasn't very common. GM deleted/stopped manufacturing this part in 1993 and
in some areas they are very hard to find so they hang onto the more valuable
parts. From your description here yours is still intact and I would find
the wires going to the glow plug relay and put it back to where it was
originally. Sometimes you have to use a heavy duty momentary switch and
cycle the GP's manually because parts are simply not available. In doing
this, (which is OK if you know what you are doing) just be careful that you
do not keep the plugs on any longer than necessary!

     Another point here is AFTER your engine starts, the controller cycles
the glowplugs on and off for about 20 seconds, mainly to reduce excessive
smoking in the exhaust. Julian Burke