Re: [MV] Drivers dexterity test

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 07:35:04 PDT

Best truck I learned on was a 1963 B-81 Quadbox (20 speed two sticks) and a
180 HP Thermadyne Diesel no blower or turbo with manual steering. One of
200 trucks purchased by the contractor that built the 1964 New York Worlds
Fair. Site was in Queens section of NYC, as such he didn't need speed so
they had the highest numerical ratio Mack offered...end result was with a
driver that knew how to drive em they could go anywhere off road and haul
anything. Top speed at 2100 RPM (max working rpm) in 5th gear on the main,
in high split on the aux tranny with 11Rx24.5 tires was 47 MPH!!!! The Army
really shoulda copied the truck and painted it OD.

Jim

At 06:25 PM 8/19/2003 -0400, J. Wiehe wrote:
>The best test.
>
>Put the test subject in an old twin stick Mac with armstrong
>steering, give 'em a coffee and donut and tell them to drive around
>the block. ( No sissy cup holders in an old twin stick ).
>
>Did we not talk about this a few months ago ???
>
>Jim Wiehe VA3JHW
>j.wiehe@sympatico.ca

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com