Re: [MV] looking for turnbuttons

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 10:47:43 PDT

Hi Vadim...

>I'm missing some turnbuttons (on the B pillar and on the cargo cover bows).
>Are those all the same? If so, does anybody have some for sale? I'd also
>need rivets that go with them, but I suppose some regular rivets from a
>nearby store would do.

When I was at the Alameda MVPA show, Weebee Webbing / Pizzoferrato
Enterprises / odcloth.com was there and they had a rack of parts bins
with all the fasteners you could imagine! Plus most of them were flat
black oxide finished, unlike the fasteners from the boat shop (usually
bright chrome or zinc). Above all, they were really inexpensive!

Here's a link to their web site with some of the fasteners:

  http://www.odcloth.com/hardware/hardwareinfo.html

I mentioned this earlier, but if you need to refinish zinc hardware,
dunk the parts whole in pool acid (muriatic acid, 31% hydrochloric
acid) and the zinc will be stripped off in minutes leaving bare steel.
Then neutralize the parts in baking soda and water and rinse and scrub
completely. Finally dunk the parts in gun bluing (Brownell's sells a
good one) and you have nice black parts.

Good luck!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See These Trucks at www.CUCV.NET Keyword Searching of 22,000 Electronic TMs at www.MILDOCS.com