Re: [MV] HMMWV v. idiots in government - With MV Content!

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 12:25:25 PDT

>My 97 e150 van needs a seal for pwr steering box.
>I cannot buy just the seal. I have to replace the complete steering box.

Bingo :-) I knew someone would come up with a solid example of exactly
what I was saying to Aaron. I'll toss in another one...

An overhead consol for a GMC truck can only be purchased disassembled.
 The total cost, IIRC, was around $1200. This for a couple of bits of
pastic and probably $2 worth of electronics made in Korea or China. And
you can't tell me that when you buy one already assembled and installed
in a new truck that the GMC beancounters have assigned it a value of
$1200. So why the high price? Because they would rather you not improve
an existing vehicle and instead go out and buy a new one (or pay an
outrageous price for the parts).

Don't be naive folks... government is nothing but a specific form of
consumer in corporate eyes. Basic realities of how corporations work
applies similarly to both.

Steve