RE: [MV] HMMWV crushing and other dumb things

From: J Brennan (brenrock@optonline.net)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 16:11:00 PDT

This leads to the next thought . . . The agreement was between AM
General and DOD to crush & cut the HMMWV's. This belief, as this thread
points out, is that this was done so that AM General's civilian Humvee's
business would not be impacted. The cost of the civilian version is
$80,000 - $120,000 so they sold less then 2000 a year - obviously not a
high production unit. Any major release of MV versions could devastate
that business. And I'm not even talking about MV enthusiasts but rather
mass conversion of these MV's to make them more civy friendly. So now
that AM General doesn't own the civilian Humvee anymore and GM does
along with the "tastes great - less filling" version called the H2 what
happens to that original agreement? Does it really apply and should it?
Would it really impact GM? They're not stupid which is why they very
quickly introduced the H2 and soon the H3 (Jeep wrangler competitor -
younger audience) to go after the larger market rather then the very
small elite Humvee consumer group.

We'll never get the answer unless some heavy hitters are willing to
pursue it. I ran into the registration issue in CT and was denied
registering mine because AM General wrote a letter to the state saying
they shouldn't register it. AM General threw out such things as not
meeting all FMVSS. I pushed the state to get an answer since AMG was
not answering my inquires and the answer that came back to CT for
clarification of what FMVSS it did not meet was . . . We can't tell you
because it's classified! Oh, how perfect. I even got one of their
lawyers on the phone by pure luck and he very politely told me that it
was all safety related and had nothing to do with their civilian
business - separate business units and all. So again now that GM has
the civilian Humvee's should such an agreement continue (if it really
exits at all)? The only way to change it is to make an issue out of it
and with the economy the way it is with budget overruns no time is
better then now. Heck, if those toilet seats made the news then why not
this? Then again it falls into the category of one of those monster
big, environmental killing, people crushing SUV's. ;-)))

John

'93 M1038