Re: [MV] HMMWV v. idiots in government - With MV Content!

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 00:17:33 PDT

>That's a pretty broad statement, don't you think?

And this isn't? :-)

"I agree with the "more expensive" part, but the expense is largely a
result of the Ralph Naders of the world (remember his "Unsafe At Any
Speed"?) trying to make cars SAFE At Any Speed, plus the environmental
wackos/EPA/CPSC, etc, etc."

SUVs are repeatedly rated the least safe vehicles on the road. But they
are also the most expensive, least fuel efficeint (thanks to the light
truck loophole), and are the most expensive to repair (even at 2mph
fender benders). I don't think that really fits in with what you are saying.

Unfortunately, the auto industry in the US (in particular) doesn't like
to do things unless they are ordred to do so by gov't or shamed into it
by consumer groups. They, like other big corporations, also hate to
compete with foriegn companies because that too forces them to change.
 Doesn't matter how sensible, responsible, or economically beneficial it
might be... they have to go kicking and screaming. And that kicking and
screaming comes with heavy price tags in terms of lawyers, lobbyists,
political contributions, etc. They insist on making themselves a part of
the various problems, not the solutions.

>What I really disagree with is the "less durable" part.

Today my wife got a flat. I drove out to fix it because she has a bad
back. I broke the cheap POS tire iron that came with the car. I'd call
that less durable :-)

Well, you might have had good luck with your more recent cars, and I
certainly can't complain since I don't buy the junk (non mil I have 1 GMC
truck, 1 Subaru Outback). I also think things have goten better since
the crap in the 1970s and 1980s. But by and large the DOMESTIC stuff
churned out has a cheap feel to it and lots of stuff that shouldn't break
does (it might still drive, but that is only one factor to consider). I
am sure mechanics out there on the list can attest to that. I know my
mechanic sure does.

Steve