Re: [MV] HMMWV v. idiots in government - With MV Content!

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 10:01:17 PDT

I don't buy it.

Anytime good vehicles with value are cut up and destroyed, the value is
lost. It is a waste.

Some idiot in the government agreed with AMG to save $50 of so on the cost
of the trucks. They weren't thinking correctly.

I sincerely doubt that releasing all of the AMG hummers that are now in the
Military would hurt AMG at all. In fact it may very well help them
tremendously with spare part sales, etc.

No non-MV, non off roader nut is going to buy one.

Regarding having to buy a complete steering box versus replacing a seal.
If the manufacturer decides to not sell a certain part instead of an
assembly, is that a crime? I don't think so. There are a multitude of
reasons for not selling a certain part instead of an assembly.

I bet there are a dozen remanufacturer's in this country that can rebuild
that box for you.

The fact is that the government screwed up when they signed the contracts
with AMG, it's as simple as that. Somehow AMG influenced the government to
make that decision.

AMG going broke? Have you seen their plant? Do you know how much an H2
costs? Do you have any idea how many of those H2's I see on car carriers
leaving Elkhart? I'd like my business to be in such a precarious situation
also. (;->) It must be tough.

Steve, I'd be curious to know why you don't want the Army releasing your
products to the public after use.

Unless you have a corner on the market, you will simply lose the contract
if you 5X the price.

Dave

--
Dave